Wesson rechamber??

longcaribiner
PostsCOLON 64
JoinedCOLON Fri Jul 14, 2006 1:17 pm

Wesson rechamber??

Post by longcaribiner » Fri Jul 21, 2006 7:53 pm

I have a wesson in reasonably ggod shape with the hammer that can be rim fire or centerfire. Currently, in 38 extra long Ballard... Rather than mess with a heeled 375 bullet to fit the shells, Would it be sacriledge to rechamber the existing barrel for 38-55.??

mtmarfield

Post by mtmarfield » Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:21 pm

Greetings!

Personally, I'd leave the rifle alone, and use it as is. If fiddling with OL bullets doesn't do it for you, contact Rapine Moulds; I believe that they have a hollow base {IL} bullet mould for the .38 LongCF that may be just what you're looking for.
I think that there's a lot of fun to be had shooting these rifles just the way they are; that way, you don't have to feel bad about permanently altering an antique. Keep us posted!

Enjoy & Be Well!

M.T.Marfield
6-25-07

pjogrinc
PostsCOLON 23
JoinedCOLON Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:47 pm
LocationCOLON Northern Minnesota

Re: Wesson rechamber??

Post by pjogrinc » Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:40 pm

Use a Rem 357 max case, about .030 short. Just keep the loads to Black Powder specs.

Plainbase
PostsCOLON 122
JoinedCOLON Thu Nov 24, 2005 11:26 am
LocationCOLON Out West

Re: Wesson rechamber??

Post by Plainbase » Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:16 pm

It is interesting that the Rem 357 Max and the Starline 445 SuperMax brass can be used for the Wesson 2 trigger convertible models in 38 Wesson Extra Long and the 44 Wesson Extra Long respectively. I have heard that a Wesson expert said that Frank Wesson was always playing around with his cartridges and that a chamber cast is the way to go, not only for the brass but also for the bullets which can vary considerably in diameter. Measuring bullet diameter can be tricky also as at least some rifles had 5 groove rifling. Of course loads should be kept more on the old pistol cartridge standard. No use blowing up a nice old rifle!
Plainbase

BUTTON_POST_REPLY