.22 RF bulge in Stevens?

white owl
PostsCOLON 74
JoinedCOLON Fri Nov 25, 2005 1:32 pm

.22 RF bulge in Stevens?

Post by white owl » Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:20 pm

In the December 2006 issue of SSE, there is an article by Brett Boyd on rebuilding a Stevens 44 1/2. In talking about fitting the extractor, he mentions that Stevens used the same extractor for all calibers, but that it is really not suitable for the 22 RF.

On page 22 he writes: "I have had a lot of 44-1/2 Stevens in 22 LR and every one produced a bulge around the extractor cut; one time a shell even burst because of this".

Stevens 44 1/2 owners - what are your experiences in this regard? Is this true of the modern CPA reproduction 44 1/2?

dryfly
PostsCOLON 16
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:09 pm

Post by dryfly » Sat Dec 02, 2006 4:42 am

I also get a bulge in 22 rimfire at the extractor. It is something I would rather not have, however the rifle is so accurat that I have deceided to leave it alone. I have shot thousands of rounds out of it and it has given me no problems other than the bulge. I have three centerfire barrels for the action and all are very accurate with no case problems at all.

wufhunter
PostsCOLON 7
JoinedCOLON Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:23 pm
LocationCOLON Grant, Montana

22 RF bulge

Post by wufhunter » Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:48 am

White owl
I got a 22rf. barrel for my CPA 44 1/2 (originally 38-55) this past summer. It came w/ a fitted 22rf. extractor and I have not had the "bulged" case problem you speak of.
Wufhunter
Shoot to win!

crossfireoops
PostsCOLON 767
JoinedCOLON Wed Nov 23, 2005 6:48 am

Stevens extractors

Post by crossfireoops » Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:14 am

Haven't read the article.

I resckon one has to be really careful, in differentiating CPA , from original
Factory.

Here's a good link to what the originals were all about.....

Link: http://www.wisnersinc.com/additionalinfo/Stevens44.html

Thanks to the "Gunacologist" and Wisner's.

GTC

crossfireoops
PostsCOLON 767
JoinedCOLON Wed Nov 23, 2005 6:48 am

Yup

Post by crossfireoops » Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:15 pm

Finally got to read the article....GOOD stuff, the machining approach. The downside is that its' based on the assumtion that pins and pin bores won't wear, and develop slack tolerances.

"I also get a bulge in 22 rimfire at the extractor. It is something I would rather not have, however the rifle is so accurat that I have deceided to leave it alone. I have shot thousands of rounds out of it and it has given me no problems other than the bulge. I have three centerfire barrels for the action and all are very accurate with no case problems at all."

This is pretty near inevitable, given the basic geometry of the action ......I'm talking about the "arc" of the extractor...

Brett did OK, but as long as the extractor rides up and over center, in its' cycle.....suffice it to say that things will be less than perfect. Remember...he was working with an original action.

Shuttleworth changed the geometry (ever so slightly) to get his CPA extractors swinging a true 90 degree arc.

Take your pick....mildly blown out cases, at 6:00, or sticky extraction.

The "extractor / ejector" .......? Perfect, outside of chewing up the action pin............and, in its' original itteration....being a bit "wide".

Narrowing that sucker ( 3/16" is a good choice) is smart....real smart. I've micro welde far to many of those spindly little "Jewelry Parts" .250" wide suckers to say otherwise.....narrow IS better...in the rimfire itterations, and that's hands down common sense.

All of this notwithstanding...the non invasive " picklefork" is the wise approach.

If you're running a Stevens action, and .....

"It came w/ a fitted 22rf. extractor and I have not had the "bulged" case problem you speak of. "

You probably just haven't shot it much, and haven't said much about your metrology, either......burn up a lotta' bricks...measure, and report.

This is no big deal...The Stevens that I'm running( original, and CPA) in 24,000 psi range ALL show that little "Potbelly".......too accurate to mess with dittos.

CPA's extractors are fitted better than anything the original factory produced......kinda' like buying a Sharps from Shilo....What?

Modern .22 match ammo is picky enough for me to discard entirely the concept of compromising ANY chamber radius.....repeat ....ANY.

GTC

BUTTON_POST_REPLY