CPA Failures?

Subsailor
PostsCOLON 22
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 4:25 pm
LocationCOLON Chesapeake, Virginia
CONTACTCOLON

CPA Failures?

Post by Subsailor » Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:28 am

Ordered a CPA Tuesday AM in .45-70. I have not seen any discussion on failures and was just curious if anyone has experienced any parts failures?
Craig Faubion
Lt. USN (Ret.)
"Sharks of Steel"
U.S. Submarine Force
If your not Fast Attack....Your Bait!

Hiwall
PostsCOLON 66
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 2:46 pm
LocationCOLON Central California

CPA Rifles

Post by Hiwall » Sat Apr 22, 2006 2:52 pm

Nice choise SubSailor,
CPA had some troubles with their fireing pins some years ago. All were replaced free of charge. I have heard of no other problems in the last 3 to 5 years. I currently have and shoot three of them. Also one of my shooting pals has three now. They seem to grow on you. Wishing you the very best with yours.
:P
tom patton

crossfireoops
PostsCOLON 767
JoinedCOLON Wed Nov 23, 2005 6:48 am

44 1/2 CPA s

Post by crossfireoops » Sun Apr 23, 2006 8:34 am

I sure like mine,...........will be spooling up a .45-70 barrel for it here, directly.
I think that the wood screw retention, and the none to generous 1/2" width tangs are the "Achilles Heel" of this particular design, and would be keeping a close eye on the buttstock bedding areas. I chose to add tapped "pillars", and upgrade the tang screws to machine screws, in syc with a serious competition grade glass bedding job.

We can be picky, and find flaws in anything though, can't we?

The triggers are nothing short of suberb, and I haven't had to mess with mine at all, since setting 'em up. I would follow the advice from Paul Shuttleworth, in the owner's instruction manual, and avoid setting them too light. At any setting they are really crisp, and nice to work with.

I've run at least 4-5 bricks of .22 Lr ammo through mine, and in our "Buffalo league" match, the thing is a strong , score building competitor..........very reliable.

Best regards, GTC 8)

Subsailor
PostsCOLON 22
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 4:25 pm
LocationCOLON Chesapeake, Virginia
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Subsailor » Sun Apr 23, 2006 8:46 pm

Tom/GTC, Thanks for the info...September is not going to get here soon enough. :D

Craig
Craig Faubion
Lt. USN (Ret.)
"Sharks of Steel"
U.S. Submarine Force
If your not Fast Attack....Your Bait!

white owl
PostsCOLON 74
JoinedCOLON Fri Nov 25, 2005 1:32 pm

Post by white owl » Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:17 pm

crossfierloops, when you order a Stevens from CPA, can they do the tapped pillars, the machine screw tangs, and the glass bedding job, or do you have to do that yourself after you receive the rifle?

crossfireoops
PostsCOLON 767

bedding pillars

Post by crossfireoops » Mon Apr 24, 2006 2:13 pm

Well, I can't seem to get a pic to post, outta photobucket. :shock: .......isn't [img], and [/img] supposed to do the trick, fore and aft of the photobucket code?? :?:

Any how, I did my own work, and You'd have to ask Paul and Gail as to whether they'll do it.

Will try to get a pic, or 2 up, when I 8) figure out what's up. :oops:

GTC

crossfireoops
PostsCOLON 767

CPA hot rodding, race tuning

Post by crossfireoops » Mon Apr 24, 2006 2:18 pm

actually, I don't think I'm letting a cat out of the bag, by putting this up...........

Paul is polishing off the prototype Throughbolt adaptor, for the 44 1/2. This is more,'n likely THE hot set up, for heavy hard kickers.

If you're talking to him, you just might want to inquire 'bout it.

Regards, GTC 8)

DRCook
PostsCOLON 469
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 27, 2005 3:25 pm

Post by DRCook » Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:33 am

the only failure I have had is that they had got a bad batch of tang screws where the metal was a bit crystalized and one broke off while I was finishing the buttstock

dave

AzShooter
PostsCOLON 8
JoinedCOLON Mon Nov 21, 2005 10:46 am

Post by AzShooter » Thu Sep 28, 2006 11:13 pm

[img][img]http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y298/A ... 55-CPA.jpg[/img]

I love my CPA. Can't shoot it anymore do to an injury but it's the finest rifle I've ever bought.[/img]
I came, I saw, I shot

dryfly
PostsCOLON 16
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:09 pm

Post by dryfly » Fri Sep 29, 2006 4:11 pm

Have two sharps rifles, very nice and shoot well. Also have CPA's in 22RF, 25-21, 32-40 and 38-55. Shoot the CPA's the most.

BUTTON_POST_REPLY