1894 Favorite

Kermit1945
PostsCOLON 4
JoinedCOLON Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:25 am

1894 Favorite

Post by Kermit1945 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:40 pm

I'm brand spankin' new in these here parts, so I'll just dive in here first, since it involves a Stevens. Pretty much new to BP cartridge, but I've been shooting flintlock long guns, BP bench, singleshot (some), and assorted other stuff for a lot of decades, but I've been lurking on the fringes, watching friends shoot BPCR.

Here's my project. I've got my hands on the best unmolested 1894 Favorite in .32 Rimfire I've ever seen. Pix at some point, I expect. I've accumulated almost everything I need--brass, dies, boolits--to shoot this little wonder with .32 Colt Long Centerfire. Looking for a second breechblock to convert to CF so the original is unaltered.

I'm not looking to shoot 1000 yard matches and such, but to have fun in a small way with my grandson who has no patience for muzzleloading, and to introduce myself as well. I need advice on bullet design/choice and safe loading (what BP grade and how much) as starting--and maybe finishing?--loads for this little cartridge. It seems my questions fit into various forum categories, but thought I'd start here.

Someoone want to tell me where to go from here? :mrgreen:

Dead Eye
PostsCOLON 3
JoinedCOLON Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:25 pm

Re: 1894 Favorite

Post by Dead Eye » Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:43 pm

Do you have an early model 1894 or a later model 1894? Depending on which model you have it may not be possible. Check out Wiseners page or other sites to do some research first before you lay out the money for a different breech block. The model 1894s can be tricky to make changes on because I think they made four different types and some parts will not match up with the stock, barrel, etc., to make alterations. I could be mistaken about that but a number of gunsmiths have told me that. I have a model 1894 and considered doing the same thing as what you're talking about because the .32 LR rimfire ammo is hard to find and a little pricey but the gunsmiths I talked to all told me to leave it alone and there is ammo for it out there and the last ammo purchase I made was from a company in Ohio and the ammo was $25 for 50 rounds. I don't recall the exact name of the company but you should be able to find them on the Internet by doing a search for .32LR rimfire ammo. My ammo for this weapon is stored away and I'd have to go through a lot of hassle to dig it out otherwise I'd locate it to see the name of the company on the box to let you know the exact name of the company I bought it from. Hope this info helps you.

BUTTON_POST_REPLY