Considering a new 44 1/2

MLR
PostsCOLON 118
JoinedCOLON Sun Jan 15, 2006 9:39 pm
LocationCOLON Okla, U.S.A.

Considering a new 44 1/2

Post by MLR » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:16 am

I am considering the purchase of a new rifle in either 32-40 or 38-55 for this company. Is there anything I should be aware of? Quality control, type or length of brass and availability, or anything else you might be able to tell me?

Michael

mick bateman
PostsCOLON 34
JoinedCOLON Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:54 am

Re: Considering a new 44 1/2

Post by mick bateman » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:52 am

Mike
My first BPCR was a Stevens 44 1/2 from CPA in 40/65. the only problem I had was that the Starline brass I bought, ( bacause it was head stamped 40/65 ) was about 10 thou short, and the chamber was about the same amount too long. The upshot of this was that I was getting a thin ring of lead left in the throat after each shot. I solved the problem by getting 45/70 brass and trimming it to fit. I now have a 45/90 Stevens which has been quite reliable except for the action failing to close unless I give the breech block a push forward with my thumb when closing the lever. I have discussed thais with CPA, and if I would care to return the action they are quite prepared to cure the problem. Me being in Australia, and them being in PA makes this option unatractive so I persevere with the problem ( I've got used to it ), rather than put the rifle out of action for two months while it is returned to the US, and then returned to me. One big advantage of the CPA 44 1/2 is the ease of changing barrels. The action is very strong and will handle quite high intensity cartridges so you can have a varmit rifle, in say .225 Win, a 45/70 barrel for silhouette competition, and a 32/40 barrel as well, all for the cost of the extra barrels and extra extractors.
Mike Bateman.
PS I wasn't paid to say any of the above.

DRCook
PostsCOLON 472
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 27, 2005 3:25 pm

Post by DRCook » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:07 am

drcook = david r, not dr. but thanks for the compliment :)

Crane
PostsCOLON 2
JoinedCOLON Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:09 pm
LocationCOLON NC PA

Post by Crane » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:21 pm

Mike
I have two CPA's 44 1/2 one 40-65 with a Badger barrel. When I told Paul the ammo I was going the use (starline) he cut the chamber short and I have no problem with leading. The rifle has about 13,000 rds through it and no problems. The set trigger is second to none and holds the setting. One thing I like about the Stevens is the breach block it "rotates into battery" this way I can set the bullet out and get it into the rifling, which seemed to improve my rifles accurcy(?). The 22 rf has about 18,000 rds through it and again no problems. I liked the looks of the Stevens and I guess that's as good a reason as any for buying a rifle. I also believe both shoot better then I can. As a plus CPA are nice people to deal with.
Enjoy which ever one you buy and good luck.
Don

John Boy

Post by John Boy » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:33 pm

Mike, if I remember correctly, you are a PA resident. It's worth the ride up to Dingman's Ferry to visit/talk with Paul and Gail Shuttleworth.
Look at the finished rifles on hand and give them an idea what you would want in a CPA. If you really have an itch for a CPA, strong feeling you'll be leaving them with a deposit :D

MLR
PostsCOLON 118
JoinedCOLON Sun Jan 15, 2006 9:39 pm
LocationCOLON Okla, U.S.A.

Post by MLR » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:22 pm

Mike, if I remember correctly, you are a PA resident.
No I'm from Oklahoma but I wish I could visit them. The link posted by drcook has me wondering about their quality of late. I presently own a rolling block and a couple sharps. One Shiloh and one Pedersoli and I was figuring on something different if I can manage to scrape up the funds.

Michael

DRCook
PostsCOLON 472

Post by DRCook » Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:41 pm

Both Paul and Gail and their respective families are wonderful people.

However, as illustrated in the posts I made, echoed by Brent, and other people around the country, QC has been very iffy as of late. I was told that no way, we couldn't cut that dovetail off plane, PO'd me bad after buying 6 rifles, and 2 extra barrels. Either they have some tooling worn in the shop, or some other issues going on, but right now until they get it sorted out, it will be hit or miss as to whether you get a usable rifle. Once upon a time, Paul had a reputation for cutting tight chambers but I do know he isn't doing the barrels anymore, at least the last 2 I bought were done by someone else they had hired at the shop. The 2 barrels were supposed to be both Badgers, he cut one of the too small to octagon, so I ended up with a Douglas.

My friend on the east coast bought one, if he bumps the breech block, it drops and allows the spring loaded plunger to override the breech block and jams the action. I also have an extra lever I had bought. It has been machined off center of the casting and is unusable. It is an 80.00 paper weight.

The Stevens 44 1/2 as redesigned by them (they made it bigger) could be, I repeat COULD be, the premier BPCR rifle in the country today if QC was tightened up. Out of all my BPCR rifles,
I shoot the CPA's the most. However, I shouldn't be paying other gunsmiths to make them usable, you know.

Buy a Shiloh. I repeat. Buy a Shiloh. They are the absolute best BPCR gun for the money in the country, probably world today. Their quality is beyond anyone else's for the price point they have.

dc

Greg Palman
PostsCOLON 1
JoinedCOLON Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:27 pm

Post by Greg Palman » Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:32 pm

My guess is that your rims are a diet too thick.

DRCook
PostsCOLON 472

Post by DRCook » Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:08 pm

WTF was that about ?

Anyway it seems the quality issues have been fixed.

John Boy

Post by John Boy » Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:00 pm

When I told Paul the ammo I was going the use (starline) he cut the chamber short and I have no problem with leading.
Don, exactly what was the length of your short Starlines that you had to have the chamber cut short?

Here's why: CPA is fitting a new 1:16 Badger barrel to my 44 1/2. I am strictly a Starline brass user. You sent a chill up my spine ...
I just received 100 new Starline 40-65 brass. I FL sized them - annealed and now just took them out of the rotary tumbler. Dried them and randomly picked 20 pieces. Of the 20 pieces - 17 measured 2.101, 2 measured 2.102 and 1 measured 2.103. That put's 20% within the SAAMI spec of 2.10 giving me confidence all are the SAAMI correct length

BUTTON_POST_REPLY