Dumb tang sight question

slumlord44
PostsCOLON 43
JoinedCOLON Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:51 pm
LocationCOLON Lebanon, Illinois

Dumb tang sight question

Post by slumlord44 » Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:45 pm

Trying to use the standard open sights in conjunction with tang sights. Some of the original sighting options had a front sight that flipped up or down or an open rear sight that flipped up or down. Some had standard sights that did not flip up or down. The open rear sight gets in the way when using the tang sight. I have removed the rear sight and installed a blank on a couple of guns but would like the option of using the tang sight or the open rear sight. What am I overlooking here??

g.pennell
PostsCOLON 167
JoinedCOLON Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:07 am
LocationCOLON Jenkins, KY

Post by g.pennell » Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:19 am

Sounds like you need a rear sight that the blade flips down, out of the way of the tang sight. Lyman used to make one, but I don't think they made it to fit the original Stevens dovetail...so it's probably a moot point anyway.

Might look through Brownell's website, and see if Marbles, Williams, or one of the other sight manufacturers makes something that will work.

On the other hand, I have both tang and barrel sights on my .45-70 hunting rifle (Browning high wall). I don't notice too much problem using the tang sights, just ignore the rear sight blade and it'll go away :wink: .

Greg
Rollers Rock, but High Walls Rule!

BUTTON_POST_REPLY