Just ordered my first CPA rifle

gregg877
PostsCOLON 35
JoinedCOLON Sat Dec 22, 2007 3:09 pm
LocationCOLON Peoples Republik of Massachusetts
CONTACTCOLON

Just ordered my first CPA rifle

Post by gregg877 » Tue May 06, 2008 6:44 am

Just placed an order for my first CPA rifle. Buying a Schuetzen with the following specs:

#4 Douglas XX 34" long, 1:12 twist in cal .30wcf, ball and spur lever, model 52 schuetzen junior stock(wood unfinished), Stevens #4 buttplate, round palm rest, MVA #115 Stevens front globe, and CPA scope bases.

Picked up a vintage 8X Unertl with fine crosshairs and a dot that I'm planning on mounting to this fine piece of machinery. Will pick up a tang sight from MVA once I climb back out of the poverty hole.

Gonna be a long 6 months. Luckily, a good friend of mine has the exact same rifle and doesn't mind me burning his ammo :D

Gregg
Breath Relax Aim Stop Squeeze

Macon Due
PostsCOLON 14
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:22 pm
LocationCOLON Missouri

CPA

Post by Macon Due » Tue May 06, 2008 7:48 pm

Gregg
I think you are going to be pleased.Mine is a lot like yours,,# 52 stock unfinished wood ball & spur,CPA scope bases,round palm rest.I ordered mine in .32-40 though with Shilen barrel along with rimfire breech block and Shilen .22 rimfire barrel. I use a 25x Lieschert scope.I did have to send it back to have the buttplate re-fit as it looked like a 2 year old had done it but otherwise it is superb! I really like mine.
Macon
"It ain't much of a crime,whacking a surly bartender".....Gus,Lonesome Dove

Crash Landing
PostsCOLON 19
JoinedCOLON Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:17 pm
LocationCOLON Arizona
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Crash Landing » Tue May 06, 2008 8:14 pm

gregg877
Being a model 52 gives clue that you are planning to do at least some offhand shooting with your new CPA. I think you have overall made good choices in the rifle’s configuration except for the 34 inch barrel. I think you will find it excessively long for offhand shooting and all that length brings nothing to the party but you may find your bullets run out of lube during the long trip down the bore. 28 or 30 inches is plenty long enough for a 30 WCF and will definitely make for better handling offhand.
My two cents worth, good luck with your new rifle and I hope it brings you years of good service.
Crash

gregg877
PostsCOLON 35
CONTACTCOLON

Post by gregg877 » Wed May 07, 2008 5:34 am

Crash Landing wroteCOLONgregg877
Being a model 52 gives clue that you are planning to do at least some offhand shooting with your new CPA. I think you have overall made good choices in the rifle’s configuration except for the 34 inch barrel. I think you will find it excessively long for offhand shooting and all that length brings nothing to the party but you may find your bullets run out of lube during the long trip down the bore. 28 or 30 inches is plenty long enough for a 30 WCF and will definitely make for better handling offhand.
My two cents worth, good luck with your new rifle and I hope it brings you years of good service.
Crash, appreciate your comments, however, as I mentioned, the same rifle I based my specifications on is here and I have shot it more than a little...

We're using an ideal 311403 30:1 with a 2:1 beeswax vasoline lube, baseband sized to .309, breechseated over 12.6grns of 4759. While I'd agree with you that a different bullet with black powder or even a high pressure smokeless load and the 34 inch barrel may have issues, this bullet over the kind of low pressure smokeless load we are using does not. The extra 4 inches also gives just a little more sight radius for iron sights, and also slows down oscillation a bit, so it does actually bring plenty to the party. Don't think the old timer thats coaching me(who actually owns the rifle) has ever had a problem with his boolits running out of lube either, though that is interesting, and I'll have to ask him.

Your other observations are correct, the rifle is going to be used exclusively for offhand shooting, and smokeless loads. During the winter there is an 18 consecutive sunday circuit with several classes including irons, windsor, scope, and 40+, and of course schuetzen fest and a few others in the summer. Been shooting my Sharps for the winter matches, and not doing too bad, but I think I'll see a huge improvement in my scores with my CPA.

Gregg
Last edited by 1 on gregg877, edited 0 times in total.

Plainbase
PostsCOLON 122
JoinedCOLON Thu Nov 24, 2005 11:26 am
LocationCOLON Out West

Post by Plainbase » Wed May 07, 2008 9:33 am

Used in this fashion, it is interesting that your friend has gone with the .30-30 instead of the tried and true .32-40. Any comments?
Plainbase

gregg877
PostsCOLON 35
CONTACTCOLON

Post by gregg877 » Wed May 07, 2008 11:22 am

Plainbase wroteCOLONUsed in this fashion, it is interesting that your friend has gone with the .30-30 instead of the tried and true .32-40. Any comments?
When I told him I was interested in ordering a rifle from CPA in 32-40, he came out to the range with the rifle I copied for my order, and an original Stevens with a heavier and slightly shorter barrel in 32-40.

I fired 100 rounds out of his 30-30, and when he asked if I wanted to try the 32-40, didn't even bother. I knew it was the configuration I wanted.

Beyond that, I was also told by a lot of the old timers at the clubhouse that if I had ever planned on shooting black powder out of my rifle, that 32-40 or 38-55 would be a good choice. But If I was only going to shoot smokeless, than 30-30 will meet all of my needs, including my interest in Schuetzen.

Gregg

gregg877
PostsCOLON 35
CONTACTCOLON

CPA order

Post by gregg877 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:45 pm

Just got a call a week or so ago from Gail at CPA, they are fitting up the wood to my rifle, still waiting on douglas to make the barrel, since it is a special order, but she is predicting that I might have it as soon as early september.

Gregg

Macon Due
PostsCOLON 14
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:22 pm
LocationCOLON Missouri

New Rifle

Post by Macon Due » Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:15 pm

Gregg
It sounds like you are getting close. Sure hard to wait the last little bit though, but worth it!
Macon
"It ain't much of a crime,whacking a surly bartender".....Gus,Lonesome Dove

gregg877
PostsCOLON 35
CONTACTCOLON

It's here!!

Post by gregg877 » Sat Oct 11, 2008 8:51 am

Picked up my CPA yesterday, and even with unfinished wood it is gorgous!! Came a month early too, which was a real surprise considering everyone I talked to said add a few months to whatever promised delivery date I was given, not to mention the delay's with the barrel coming from Douglas on special order.

The stock is rough as a cobb(as expected) but very shootable as it is, the forearm is sanded but farly fat, the inserts for the ball and spur lever were 100% finished, and the palm rest is sanded and ready for finish. Overall the wood appears to be around.050-.070 over size, so finisheing won't take much more than some patience and a couple of free weeks. Case coloring on the receiver, buttplate and palm rest base are all very nice, and the barrel came matt blued with a polished muzzle as requested. Need to aneal the scope pads before I mount em, Pics and a range report to follow shortly.

Gregg

mriisj
PostsCOLON 16
JoinedCOLON Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:07 pm
LocationCOLON Denmark

Post by mriisj » Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:20 pm

Hi Gregg
What happend to the pics and the repport?

Michael

gregg877
PostsCOLON 35
CONTACTCOLON

CPA schuetzen Rifle

Post by gregg877 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:06 am

mriisj wroteCOLONHi Gregg
What happend to the pics and the repport?

Michael
Sorry about the delay, ended up getting roped into competing on behalf of my unit in the Ma Army National Guard Soldier of the Year Competition for FY09 at the unit, battalion, brigade and ultimately state level, so I really havent had alot of time up til now.

Anyway, Shot the winter match with my rifle, as well as Schuetzenfest held at Old Colony in Pembroke Mass. Ended up shooting consistantly in the high 180's, while my schuetzenfest score in the centerfire scope class was 990 3x. Not bad, considering I'm still learning to use the rifle.

Initial time at the range using the load I mentioned earlier in this thread(Ideal 311403 30:1, base band sized to .309, 2:1 beeswax vasoline lube, breechseated over 12.6grns 4759, wlp, RP brass) saw the best group from the bench @200 yrds @1.990. I have since aquired a mold off ebay, that I suspect is either a brooks, or a paul jones(it's not marked) which throws a pointy tapered schuetzen style bullet that weighs 189grns in the same alloy. I size the base band down to .309 as well, and it tapers down to about .302 at the ogive, and is excellent for breechseating. Was getting alot of unburnt powder with the pope bullet even up to 12.8grns, switching to the heavier bullet I've gotten alot less, still no leading, and groups tightened up to a best of 1.856. Havent been able to chrono the current load and bullet, but if it's pushing more than 1100fps, I'd be real surprised. Sub MOA is pretty respectable for something that suposidly isnt supposed to shoot.

Started finishing the stock and foreend, now that there isn't anything going til August. Soon as I can, will post pics of the rifle and the test targets.

Gregg

BUTTON_POST_REPLY