Stevens 44 .22 Silhouette

g.pennell
PostsCOLON 167
JoinedCOLON Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:07 am
LocationCOLON Jenkins, KY

Stevens 44 .22 Silhouette

Post by g.pennell » Mon Dec 19, 2005 8:07 pm

Finally got the silhouette stocks fitted for my project 44. Nicely figured, though very light colored English walnut. Now I just have to find time this winter to finish and checker two stocks...

Greg
Rollers Rock, but High Walls Rule!

chaz
PostsCOLON 55
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 6:36 pm
LocationCOLON Erie, Pa.

Post by chaz » Mon Dec 19, 2005 8:22 pm

Greg,

THat's a fine looking project. Looks like a lot of fun to be had with it.
Charlie

crossfireoops
PostsCOLON 767
JoinedCOLON Wed Nov 23, 2005 6:48 am

Rimfire 44 1/2

Post by crossfireoops » Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:37 pm

Greg, that's lookin' pretty skookum.......

Well, Idahjo's reamer got here, on the mule train.

Dopin' out a revision to that factory Rimfire extractor, and I'm thinkin' that swinging in a hook, at 9:00 may be feasible, and thank's Joe for sending that picture of the Ballard, and the way you nailed that one.

It appears that the same thing , more or less, can be done with this one. The investment cast 8620 TIG welds very well, usually, but I think I'll probably carve a coupla' spare, prior to cuttin', and puddling on the ONE that I have here. Next decision is to figure...............

* shorten the block, .043" ?

* shorten the shank, .043" ?

Opinions, anyone ? :roll:

The piloted Kiff / Pacific Tool and Gauge match reamer is beautiful. :D

Work Safe, GTC 8)

g.pennell
PostsCOLON 167

So, what you have in mind is...

Post by g.pennell » Tue Dec 20, 2005 8:14 am

A dog-leg in the extractor, around to the 9:00, so the firing-pin strike isn't cushioned by said extractor? Sounds do-able, to me...provided you have enough room. It would be easier if the extractor swung on the outside of the lever like a Winchester, instead of centered up.

We talked about the same sort of thing (hook from 9:00) when I was considering a .22 RF conversion on my low wall (it's a CF action)...just extend the hook instead of building one of them honkin-big Winchester .22 extractors. Decided to just rebarrel to .25-20 WCF instead.

Greg

crossfireoops
PostsCOLON 767

flop

Post by crossfireoops » Tue Dec 20, 2005 8:22 am

I actually reckon that this AM's brainstorming will entail mocking up a 9:00 hook, and you are DEAD RIGHT mr. P..............the whole thing would be a lot more feasible if that existing wasn't center pinned.

HMMMMMmm.....................what about a pickle fork? both sides, symetrical,

9:00, and 3:00

GTC 8)

g.pennell
PostsCOLON 167

Post by g.pennell » Thu Dec 22, 2005 10:56 am

Greg,

How go the extractor machinations? What did you decide on? If you went the "pickle fork" road, you got any hair left? :lol:

Inquiring minds, and all that...be sure to let us know how she percolates after you get her all set up.

Greg

crossfireoops
PostsCOLON 767

Rimfire 44 1/2

Post by crossfireoops » Thu Dec 22, 2005 8:37 pm

Greg, this will give an update........ :roll:

link:http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthread ... =0&fpart=2

All the best, to you, and yours,

GTC 8)

crossfireoops
PostsCOLON 767

Post by crossfireoops » Fri Dec 23, 2005 6:11 am

This was last nights news, and I couldn't get my eyes uncrossed, and fight through the photobucket .

Sorry the link didn't fly :oops:

It's been a LONG day.......did some proofing yesterday, with the factory 6:00 extractor setup.........yes ,there's a little bit of that non support issue showing, but just for giggles, I thought I'd run it bone stock to start.

The piloted Kiff reamer did a really nice chamber, and I think it's classed as a '52D............clear pressure reqd to final seat in leade.

At 0 dark 30 I crawled out into the predawn chill, and shot some photos of possible Match rifle / rail type feasability, and it looks like the old Swenson's might cut the mustard. With the MVA rear Soulle set up, I ran out of time, so did a quick lash up....................coupla wraps electric tape, some 'Smoodge'.................that cookie dough repair putty, and some wraps of more electric tape saw aN old Redfield "Olympic" sitting, as subsequent test firing with Soulle at 0 wind,remarkably close to being dead nuts bore axis.

Slurped coffee, didn't shower or shave .....fired up the welding rig, through the "lashup" into the bins, and split for a work party at our local range.

What a treat that was!..........we welded individual 3' legnths of 5/16 chain to 20 full sized turkey silhouetttes. This would have been a snap, except the grass is fairly dry now, and I had to sit right down to do the job(s).....no really serious scorching, I had brains enough to wear a fairly new pair of Wranglers...................had i been wearing some of my old raggy ones :shock: .........?!
That 20welds accomplished, and now smelling like a grass fire, we retired to the 500m line, and repaired a VERY shot up ram swinger ( the goofballs at the adjacent public line shoot magnum super snappers at it

FINALLY it was time to unlimber the lashup, and now, through clever planning and tactics, totally fatigued, a bit arc-flashed, we now had to shoot into the Mid-day, low ecliptic sun........
Coupla damn rocket scientists.........the ammo was Federal "Champion", Jim Straights choice of targets ain't my cup of tea, but hey, it's what we had...............Did not have quite a small enuf aperture for the 25-30yd we set up at.

So we burned 50 of em', and jim beat my .350", with a .310(at 9:00), C to C measured. The center is the sighter, and there' s about 10-12 shots in that 3:00 bull, the vertical was prabably about fighting with sight picture, i do the same damn thing with BPCR.
Jim called his poor breaks, with really good plot.

Thank you all so much, for walking me through the minefield, Joe, a rogue Huachuca Tamale bear has taken yer reamer hostage, and we're in early stage negotiations.

Will probably lop this off, someday, and fit a more sensible extractor, but initial results look promising, and now we can think about makin' it pretty.

The triggers are suberb.

God bless all of you, and yours, GTC 8)

crossfireoops
PostsCOLON 767

match rifle sights

Post by crossfireoops » Fri Dec 23, 2005 6:29 am

Other'n needing a good cleaning, these old Swenson's are in great shape, nasty un-pc "Clicks :shock: " and all.

A detachable rail, dovetailing to scope blocks on barrel........in the works. :roll:

Merit disc...................MMMMMmmmmm. :D

GTC 8)

g.pennell
PostsCOLON 167

Post by g.pennell » Fri Dec 23, 2005 12:54 pm

Greg,

Thanks for the report, and in detail, with pictures, yet. Sure looks like that dog'll hunt. Is this destined to be a .22 silly wet shooter? Keep us posted on the "make it pretty" part, too.

Greg

PS...how much for the ceegar box in the photos....? :wink:

crossfireoops
PostsCOLON 767

progress, slow, but steady

Post by crossfireoops » Sat Dec 24, 2005 9:59 pm

few discrete revisions....a bit larger (by .0115") action pin, and a Force 44 "sweat" in the really loose factory extractor bore( they actually CAST these, and than run a dreamer through 'em, or some such.....as recieved,'ya can still see the 60/40 cast to finished...and the fitup is too loose.)
The idea was to see if a coupla' provisional, and in the case of a silver S bush, temporary, repairs would shrink the 6:00 midrif bulge common to this system.

Yup, it worked, and these groups were shot in a really squirelly 6:00-8:00 wind , with a bit of 3:00 gusting switchces thrown in , to make things more interesting.........typical Sierra Vista conditions. :roll:

The target was set at 25m, and the glare was so bad, that a really crappy rest was chosen.

The group at second row down, far right is 10 shots, with dirt cheap Fed "Champion" :shock: ....as are the other top 5

Best regards,GTC 8)

crossfireoops
PostsCOLON 767

OH CHIT

Post by crossfireoops » Sat Dec 24, 2005 10:08 pm

OH CHIT. :shock: ..............the othe rtop 5....5 shots per indiv. target. :oops:

Cheers, GTC 8)

crossfireoops
PostsCOLON 767

a little progress

Post by crossfireoops » Mon Jan 02, 2006 6:04 pm

For 2-300 yard "Buffalo League .22LR matches, it looks like I'm still needing another .585", for base elevation.

Had never bothered to check, but was pleasantly surprised to learn that the old Redfield International, and Olympic have EXACTLY the same center height. One of those things you never really think about, as it were.

Did a bit of shooting yesterday, with the International, and some of those superb Lexan apertures.

Damn 4-6:00 tailwind , tormentious gusts, but lotsa good shooting nonetheless.....it's going to be hard to tear this thing down, for finishing, anyone out there sittin on a buttplate that might fit this thing? Kesselring's is showing orig. Pre-64 win 70's, for a measly $35.00. can't seem to get an answer though.

Happy New Year, work Safe, GTC

g.pennell
PostsCOLON 167

Post by g.pennell » Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:09 am

Greg,

Better get started finishing out the stock, shooting season will be here before you know it. (gotta get your new date all dressed up ready to go out on the town!)

George Peterson has a nice casting of a Model 70 plate, and it comes with REAL NICE screws, as well. I've used several, and they finish up real good either blued or color-cased. But, I'm sure you know about those. I have a raggedy ol' Neidner-type plate I can send ya, just needs a good wire brushing and reblue.

I opted for one of the "Stevens" logo reproduction plates for my 44...got it from Gail at CPA if I remember rightly.

Greg

PS...I'm diggin' that sight mount... :wink:

g.pennell
PostsCOLON 167

One Step Closer...

Post by g.pennell » Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:53 am

Guys,

I'm a little closer to finishing my little silhouette rifle...got a call from Ken Hurst that the engraving was done on my receiver, and today it's on its way to be color cased. Have the stockset finished, and on the way to be checkered...hope to have her all in the same zipcode here before too much longer!

Greg

BUTTON_POST_REPLY