My Newest CPA specs

DRCook
PostsCOLON 472
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 27, 2005 3:25 pm

My Newest CPA specs

Post by DRCook » Sun Feb 04, 2007 11:07 am

I am having a new rifle put together by Paul and Gail at CPA. Here are the specs:

Silhouette style
40-82 Crossno chambering
Lilja Barrel 1:13 twist
Upgraded wood
Barrel will be a max of 32 shortened to make weight for BPCR with a min of 30"
No scope block screw holes in barrel
The threads will be fitted tight, ie: not a takedown model
Ron Heilman buffalo windage long range soule sight
Most likely a Lee Shaver front sight

What can I say. CPA nbr 3 and 1 each for my wife and daughter.

dc

ssdave
PostsCOLON 123
JoinedCOLON Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:00 am

Post by ssdave » Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:42 pm

What's the world coming to? You're going to a .40? At least a man sized one!

I'm also going to try a .40. Mine will be in .40-70 SS, as I got an original high wall in that caliber with a #4 barrel that needs relined. I'm going to use a 13 twist Pac Nor barrel turned as a liner. Be interesting, as you know I'm a die hard .45-90 shooter. I'll try to load it to the exact same ballistics as my .45-90 and my sons 38-72. Right now, they're running within 3 points of each other from 300 to 1000 yards. The 38's running a 360 grain bullet, the 45 a 540; the 40 should be somewhere in the 440 grain range to do the same.

You going to be at Alliance in the spring? I'm thinking about it if I can get away.

dave

DRCook
PostsCOLON 472

Post by DRCook » Mon Feb 05, 2007 4:28 pm

Dave,

whats the date on that Alliance shoot?

had to try a 40, but still keeping my 45's

next year my intentions are to post in the roller section about the 44-90 roller I will be having built as soon as I peddle off some guns

Dave

g.pennell
PostsCOLON 167
JoinedCOLON Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:07 am
LocationCOLON Jenkins, KY

Post by g.pennell » Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:35 am

DC, does this mean we'll see you on the silhouette range at Friendship this summer?

A .44 caliber roller...I been thinking about that myself, especially if Starline ever comes out with .44-77 brass!

Greg
Rollers Rock, but High Walls Rule!

ssdave
PostsCOLON 123
JoinedCOLON Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:00 am

Post by ssdave » Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:18 am

Dave,

The spring BPCR shoot at alliance is the first weekend in may. Here's the alliance club wetsite:

http://www.alliancerifleclub.com/

I don't know if I'll make it or not, depends on what I'm doing on my house I'm building. Might have to be working on it, and taking too much time off might make the missus a bit unhappy. Depends a lot on what the weather does between now and then, whether I'll be able to do a lot of the outside work on the house or not.

I ordered the barrel and reamer for my .40-70 this week. Already have the dies and brass, formed my brass from 405 hornady in the 40-70ss dies, and ordered a reamer to fit the formed cases without further processing. I don't like to trim or ream the brass if I can help it, as I'm too lazy and short on time. Left the brass at the 405 length instead of shortneing it. Having the reamer cut to provide a slip fit of the bullet into a fired case, and a straight neck section .5 inches long, then a straight taper to the base of the case. That's the approach I took to the .38-72 reamer, and it's been accurate and easy to load for.

dave

wboggs
PostsCOLON 45
JoinedCOLON Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:18 am
LocationCOLON N.E. FL.

cpa

Post by wboggs » Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:10 am

DR cook:
I am interested in a CPA and would like to know of your experience with them. You specify tight threads but I was thinking of the take down so I could also have a .22 cal barrel for practice? What do you know about the take down, less accurate or what?
What would be your choice in cal., action, etc. for benchrest and midrange paper targets to 600 yds? I assume the take down would't be best for this.
I have a Browning .45-70 for the knockdown silhouette targets.but the trigger leaves much to be desired and I don't need all that power for paper.
Thanks
Bill Boggs
beginner in black powder

DRCook
PostsCOLON 472

Post by DRCook » Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:34 pm

Bill,

this is going to be nbr 3 for me, nbr 5 in the house. I have a heavy barreled one (32" number 5 profile) in 45-100 (takedown) another with 2 barrels (45-70 and 45-100) both barrels nbr 4 profile, the 100 32" long the 70 30" long and 2 38-55's sized for my wife and daughter.

that should probably say it all. not bragging, but if you figure the math, i must be reasonably satisfied to give Gail and Paul that amount of money

I was a tool and die maker when I was younger and just hate to take things apart and induce wear, no matter how trivial, just a personal idiosynchrousy

if you can do the work, finish the stocks yourself and save a bunch of money, you will save enough to get a decent set of sights

call and talk to Paul, he is into extreme accuracy

if you have a 45-70 already, then maybe a 40-65 ? and yes having a 22 is one advantage to this design.

if you simply wrap the threads with teflon tape, then they are tight and wear is drastically reduced as you don't have metal on metal

dave

wboggs
PostsCOLON 45
JoinedCOLON Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:18 am
LocationCOLON N.E. FL.

cpa

Post by wboggs » Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:50 pm

Dave
Thanks for the recommendation. Didn't figure I needed a .40 for targets. Maybe a .32-40 or .38-55. Does the .32 foul more and does it hold up at 600 yds? The .22 sounds good and the accuracy you describe is exceptional.
Bill Boggs
beginner in black powder

DRCook
PostsCOLON 472

Post by DRCook » Tue Jun 26, 2007 7:52 pm

Its Done, Its Done.

Just waiting for the front sight to arrive so it can be mounted then we are going to take a couple days vac and go pick up the rifle.

Even tho I have a bunch of rifles, its still like its 2 weeks till xmas and there is sposed to be a new BB gun under the tree.

DRCook
PostsCOLON 472

Post by DRCook » Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:23 am

Well I have it. The rifle is everything I could expect. I had the barrel rust blued and it is absolutely a beaut. In fact the last rifle being built is also going to have the barrel rust blued

dc

BUTTON_POST_REPLY