Getz/44 1/2

Kelley O. Roos
PostsCOLON 944
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 6:55 pm

Getz/44 1/2

Post by Kelley O. Roos » Mon Dec 12, 2005 4:36 pm

Hey Crossfire,

Thought I'd put this here. Read your article in the Exchange, so thought I could intice you to keep us posted here as to your schanagans with the rifle. I'm interested to hear how the barrel will perform, you can keep the Stevens, it has lack of curb appeal.

I traded for another High-Wall, the guy wanted this 1911 I had, sucker. So another project is in my future and I said I was done with projects, ya, right. that's why the interest in the Gertz barrels. The rifling sounds interesting.

Kelley O.

crossfireoops
PostsCOLON 767
JoinedCOLON Wed Nov 23, 2005 6:48 am

Getz barreled CPA 44 1/2 project rifle

Post by crossfireoops » Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:22 pm

Well, I guess I WILL keep it,....................seein' as how it was a gift , something to do with being able to write, if I'm not mistaken. :roll:

Great reciever ring.......dead nuts , concentric, deep, and a clean, and long spigot...........the axis's lay very straight, literally no flat surface on this action ( in the white ), that you can't indicate off of. The triggers are superb. :lol:

I don't have much to say about Schoyen rifling......that's not my department. I don't make barrels. I install them properly.

The Metford pattern rifling has got my interest, I'm thinkin' that when we go back to the early basics, things may get a little more easy to figure out.

I reckon those are goin' to shoot like stink........don't think that this Schoyen number is going to be any kind of slouch, either. :shock:

Concentricity rules, GTC 8)

bluesteel45
PostsCOLON 107
JoinedCOLON Tue Dec 13, 2005 5:03 pm
LocationCOLON central.pa.

schoyen/metford

Post by bluesteel45 » Tue Dec 13, 2005 5:09 pm

hey crossfire, how's things in sierra vista???? the rifling in question will actually be taking the best from schoyen and the best attributes from metford.......kind of a "dynamic duo" as i see it. both proven rifling designs....both VERY effective. the relative deadness factor of the 'nickle moly' dosen't hurt either. should make a really fun project......john

crossfireoops
PostsCOLON 767

Sierra Vista responds.

Post by crossfireoops » Tue Dec 13, 2005 6:10 pm

Things are very very tired here, at the moment, long day. :roll:

The weather has warmed up a bit, and we actually got some rain. :D

Did the reamer thing sort itself out OK?

GTC 8)

crossfireoops
PostsCOLON 767

CURB APPEAL ?

Post by crossfireoops » Tue Dec 13, 2005 6:13 pm

"you can keep the Stevens, it has lack of curb appeal." :shock:

well, uhh, we were intending to shoot this thing, not ride around on it, Kelley. :D

GTC 8)

bluesteel45
PostsCOLON 107

reamer

Post by bluesteel45 » Tue Dec 13, 2005 7:55 pm

still waiting on new chambering reamer to show up......the LaBlonde is patiently waiting....my customer has 75 rounds of brass loaded and some NEI bullets he wants to try.... i told him to do the 430 brooks bullet....good, accurate design. his rifling is the metford design,, and he's about ready to burst waiting to try it. coincidently, his rifle is also a CPA 44 1/2 with one of kermit hoke's longrange t.v. rear sights, [ these are fine, precision instruments].. i installed an MVA frontsight [ his], and made and installed, [via dovetail], two underlugs for forearm attachment....i don't really like the forend screws threading directly into the barrel. just looks cheesy if nothing else. with john kings' PROPER reamer, this thing should shoot like gangbusters......about .0007 choke...........[ oh yeah greg. NO crown.....just a recessed target muzzle beveled, not plunge style recess].all that's left is to point it magnetic north and tap on it 13 times with a chicken bone....i'd explain but....it's scientific.......john

Kelley O. Roos
PostsCOLON 944

Post by Kelley O. Roos » Tue Dec 13, 2005 10:35 pm

OK,

How about astatically challenged :lol:

Kelley O.

Kelley O. Roos
PostsCOLON 944

Post by Kelley O. Roos » Wed Dec 14, 2005 8:31 am

bluesteel45,

What exactly is the best attributes of Schoyen and Metford rifling? and how are those a dynamic duo? I take it your 44 1/2 is going to be a 45-70 to. One more question, what's a proper reamer?

C.F.,

What do you mean exactly,"I reckon those are goin' to shoot like stink"? and "don't think that this Schoyen number is going to be any kind of slouch, either."?

Kelley O.
Last edited by 1 on Kelley O. Roos, edited 0 times in total.

crossfireoops
PostsCOLON 767

lotsa chips,

Post by crossfireoops » Wed Dec 14, 2005 8:32 am

Talk about shennanigans, check out the link below, over to the site where looters are shot, and raw meat consumed by the kilo.

One thing about that "Hercules Dark" cutting oil, when you're done the shop smells a little bit like a fresh paving job.........I'm really thinkin' to shift to Do-All AL 2000, or a clear Milacron........the "Dark" is a smelly bugger, but also a great performer.

Note the extractor stunt, I need to beg, borrow, or buy ( never steal ),some good examples of that part, original...............REWARD OFFERED ,FOR SAME. :wink:

Would like to repro the sucker, with a head cut that's do-able in a conventional knee mill..................OLE, and Sven, had a wonderful shaper dialed in, to do the Nordic 8mm's, but that square bottomed cut is a BEAR, now that they've split for Valhala. I been using gravers, to finish 'Em.

Any hoo, I can't resist the call, of that nickle-Chro-mo........and will be pullin' down the setup pictured in the link, and indicating the Schoyen .45, this AM. :D

Blue steel, since you have penuriously chosen not to send me a blank billet to play with, I'm going to wing it....leads, feeds, speeds, tool geometry etc, etc. :?:

I'll keep headin' towards the front end of that thing, until I get it right.....Hope I don't get a short carbine out of the deal :shock: :oops: , but there is a rusty old trapdoor around here, somewhere, should that be the case.

You gonna send that free machining stock over.........!? Would like to get rollin', on the sights, and there's a " New Wrinkle" :wink: that calls out the larger OD for the blank reqd.

Nickle-Chro-Mo machining report this pM, Hopefully with pics.

Work Safe, GTC 8)

Far's all these fancy pansty " center hung hammer, fast lock time"wonders go......................

" The Sharps rifle made the West safe, for Colt, an' Winchester" :P :P :P

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthread ... oard/UBB44

crossfireoops
PostsCOLON 767

link

Post by crossfireoops » Wed Dec 14, 2005 8:34 am

Oh yeah, " Danish Roller thread size" is the thread......... :roll: 8)

GTC 8)

crossfireoops
PostsCOLON 767

Shoot like stink, no slouchin', either

Post by crossfireoops » Thu Dec 15, 2005 4:50 pm

Kelley, totally complimentary, The Schoyen pattern is a beautiful barrel, really nice finish.

I spect that the Metford might foul a bit less, with blowtubing.....but I've got the wipe between shots bug, and don't see that that's that much of a deal, and look foward to the longer sight radius that will allow here in the SW summer season.

50/50 rubbin' alky, and H20 are workin great, in my Badgers.

In cooler temps, and with the Arizona lizard blood lube , I think the blow tube is oK, on any of 'em.

GTC 8)

bluesteel45
PostsCOLON 107

rifling styles and bore cleaners

Post by bluesteel45 » Thu Dec 15, 2005 5:24 pm

greg, give up on the 50/50 70%isopropyl and murphys???? still my personal favorite. you might try 60/40% iso./ murphys in the Az. heat. now , mr. kelly o. roos....the schoyen pattern rifling was 7 groove,conventional right hand twist [ no gain], and approx 60/40%, [ approx.], groove to land ratio. the groove bottoms tended to follow the radius of the bore. this was one of the most accurate rifling designs of its' time and is still prefered by gun cranks of the steve garbe pursuasion. schoyen isn't quite as famous as pope, but was every bit as good....really fine stuff. the metford rifling was what some people term "ratchet" style of rifling in which the driving edge of the rifling stands taller than the non-driving edge, basically tapering until it peters out at the land itself. it's groove/land width runs in the 55/45% to 60/40%. the ones i witnessed were conventional right hand twist.....no gain. this is also a very accurate design...good hard driving edge. my most recent .45s were a combo of schoyen's 7 groove and metfords "edge". 1:18" twist for the heavy creedmoor stuff and choked accordingly.this is proving to be a very dependable, accurate combo. cutting these out of "nickle moly" is a little tricky, but i like it's "dead" quality. good "elongation" percentage. very strong. works for me, anyhow.....john

crossfireoops
PostsCOLON 767

GIVE UP>>>>>NEVER!

Post by crossfireoops » Thu Dec 15, 2005 7:14 pm

no i'm not gettin' away from this wiping every shot anytime soon.
Am likin' the residue, from the stong isopropyl, and the Murpies, it's non corrosive and lubricious.

Next stunt is figuring out some "scuppers", and drain ports, in the not so easy to strip models............ :roll:

Been running with " aresenal patches, dripping wet, works good,

Didn't get onto the nickle Chro-mo, and will be a day or two, yet.

Planning is something you do, until life kicks back in.....some other matters came up.

Later, GTC 8)

Kelley O. Roos
PostsCOLON 944

Post by Kelley O. Roos » Thu Dec 15, 2005 10:24 pm

OK guys, now my interest is piqued. Are the Getz barrels for sale? and if so give out some info.

Are the Getz barrels the combo design as described by bluesteel45? are you bluesteel45 the maker of the barrels?

Kelley O.

Ironramrod
PostsCOLON 97
JoinedCOLON Fri Nov 25, 2005 3:36 pm
LocationCOLON Roughrider country

Post by Ironramrod » Fri Dec 16, 2005 8:27 pm

Kelley,

I have seen Getz barrels for sale in the Track of the Wolf catalog. Don't know if it is the same Getz you are talking about here, but there can't be too many barrel makers by that name. FYI.

Regards

BUTTON_POST_REPLY