New-to-me Stevens 418

horseman308
PostsCOLON 32
JoinedCOLON Wed Aug 09, 2006 1:29 pm
LocationCOLON Maryland

New-to-me Stevens 418

Post by horseman308 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:03 am

I just got my first Stevens, a Walnut Hill 418. Cosmetically, it looks immaculate (mostly anyway; it's got a couple of handling dings in the stock, but it's an 80-ish-year-old rifle).

I have one issue and a couple of questions. The issue is this: when you run the lever with the hammer down, all is fine (nice, tight lockup, smooth operation). But when you cock the hammer, the lever and the action literally fall open - no tension at all. If you run the action with the hammer cocked, you can see/hear the ejector work and the lever will stay closed after, though with less tension than when the hammer is down.

A couple of the Stevens gurus at ASSRA assure me that it is technically safe to fire by manually holding the block closed (it's a .22lr, so a generally small cartridge), though they agree this is not how the rifle is supposed to function. They suggest it might need a new link or if there is a stuck plunger or spring. I spoke to the gunsmith at the store it came from (a GB transaction), who said he could probably fix it or they would: a) issue a refund; b) pay for a replacement part if needed; or c) issue a refund. I'd rather keep it if I can but would like to fix it.

Does anyone here have a good set of disassembly instructions for the Stevens Favorite/418? I'm having trouble locating some. I need to take it apart and see if I can tell what needs to be replaced.
The only bullet you fire is the one in the chamber. Make it count.

BUTTON_POST_REPLY