rebarreling springfield trapdoor

rebarreling springfield trapdoor

Postby aimlowsqueeze » Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:30 pm

Is it possible and feasible to replace the barrel on a springfield trapdoor. I acquired one with pretty bad barrel and have been considering replacing the barrel with a 32" octogon barrel. Has anyone had any experience at this and what should I expect for cost?
aimlowsqueeze

Re: rebarreling springfield trapdoor

Postby 13Echo » Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:18 am

Re barreling the Trapdoor is not difficult and can be done by a competent gunsmith. It is suitable for for a number of cartridges such as the 40-65, 45-70, 45-90, 38-55, etc. Stick to black powder. By the way the action is very slim and I've seen pictures of several custom rifles that had the lines of a fine shotgun. It can make up to a surprisingly elegant rifle.

Jerry Liles
13Echo

Postby aimlowsqueeze » Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:08 am

IF I rebarrel, I will be staying with the 45-70. Thank you for your input.
Two hands, aim low and squeeze the trigger....
aimlowsqueeze

Postby Uglysauce » Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:24 pm

I've always thought that .45-90 would be a good caliber for the Trapdoor. Not for the purpose of getting 90 grains in the case, but rather to more easily get the full 70 or 75 grains under any bullet you might want to use, especially the 500's.

Just a thought.

Uglysauce
Uglysauce

Postby Plainbase » Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:12 pm

I once had one in .32-20;-)
Plainbase
Plainbase

Postby Uglysauce » Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:23 pm

.32-20...wow, that's a lot of gun to wrap around that little cartridge! Probably shot really nice.

I'm a little curious as to putting an octagon barrel on the Springfield. It sure is a pretty, nice handling rifle just the way it is. Sounds like it would involve a lot of stock work too. ?? I suppose if you are a bit of an artist, perhaps something interesting and elegant could be created. I'd restore the rifle, if possible.

Uglysauce
Uglysauce

Postby ian45662 » Sat Jan 01, 2011 4:50 pm

You could send it to Hoyt for a re-line
ian45662

Postby Uglysauce » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:49 pm

There ya go. I agree.

Ugly Sauce
Uglysauce

Postby NickSS » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:48 pm

I have seen several custom rifles built on a Trapdoor action. The latest is one a friend of mine bought from John King. I beleive it is in 44-70 caliber and has a half round barrel if I am remembering the right rifle. It is also setup with double set triggers. As near as I can tell this rifle is not only beautiful but it shoots extremely well. All I can say that if I find a junker trapdoor I will have it built into one of these custom rifles as I think it would make just about a perfect hunting rifle.
NickSS

Postby Uglysauce » Tue May 03, 2011 7:12 pm

A Trapdoor certainly is a fine hunting rifle. I finally got one just for that purpose, to hunt black bear...although I've wanted, and admired the Trapdoor Springfield rifle all my life. (the carbines have never been of much interest to me) But I find that the model 1873 Springfield rifle is pretty perfect just the way it is...although I'm not saying that a custom Trapdoor would not be a perfect hunting rifle either!

I've seen barreled actions, and just action and action parts for sale on the 'net, I've seen complete locks for sale at gun shows for what seems to be a reasonable price...have you thought about putting a rifle together from parts, rather than use a restorable rifle? My rifle may have been called a "junker" when I first got it, but it is now a very beautiful, accurate rifle.

Ugly Sauce.
Uglysauce

Postby Trap4570 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:14 am

I've just joined and enjoy reading all the posts.
I've re-barreled quite a few trapdoors into different calibers. My favorite rifle is the H&R Officers Model that I converted into quick change barrel configurations. Square threads are difficult to convert to quick change that's why I chose the H&R. I have the 32-20, 32-40, 45-70, 45-80-500 and finally a .338 wildcat based on the Whisper wildcats all in one neat little carbine. The advice I can offer on a re-barrel is to ask the gunsmith if they have done square threads before. I always make sure that the threads in the receiver are in good shape without pits. While the consensus is the actions are weak - in reality it is the metal that is old. Keeping the pressures in the range of black powder allows a variety of calibers to be used. I always check the underside of the receiver to see if a 'c' has been stamped into it. Legend has it that Bannermans used condemned receivers in some rebuilds - I've never encountered one myself. Never hurts to check though. I've rambled on long enough. Enjoy your project!
Trap4570

Return to Springfield Trapdoor Rifles