Any Tips Breaking a Frozen Barrel?

John Boy

Any Tips Breaking a Frozen Barrel?

Post by John Boy » Sat Aug 08, 2009 4:02 pm

Have tried all he usual items to break loose the barrel on a No3.... heat - soaking in all the usual solvents and oil and even a cheater bar on the wrench. Any other tips would be appreciated

macca
PostsCOLON 163
JoinedCOLON Tue May 26, 2009 5:46 am
LocationCOLON Australia

Re: Any Tips Breaking a Frozen Barrel?

Post by macca » Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:11 pm

Hi,
just a thought - freeze the barrel and reciver - when uniformly cold insulate the barrel and rapidly warm the receiver so that its thread expands then try the cheat bar again
Cheers
A Sudoku a day keeps alzheimers away ........I think

John Boy

Post by John Boy » Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:19 pm

Macca, I like your thought. Thanks kindly and I'll give it a try

DRCook
PostsCOLON 469
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 27, 2005 3:25 pm

Post by DRCook » Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:03 pm

John,

what type of firearm ?

Dave
drcook = david r, not dr. but thanks for the compliment :)

John Boy

Post by John Boy » Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:17 pm

what type of firearm ?
Dave, an early JM Ballard No3 gallery rifle - 22rf
Bore is shot out and am putting a TJ's liner in it

DRCook
PostsCOLON 469
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 27, 2005 3:25 pm

Post by DRCook » Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:19 pm

John,

stick the action down in a quart or so of diesel fuel and let it sit for a couple days. The diesel will penetrate into the threads and help break loose any rust that is holding them. Then when you use the heat trick, you won't have to heat the action up so much.

Dave
drcook = david r, not dr. but thanks for the compliment :)

Arnie
PostsCOLON 313
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 6:25 pm
LocationCOLON Lodi,Ca.

Post by Arnie » Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:58 pm

I have a #9 Union Hill that Ken Bresien recut from 32/40 to 38/55 .The 32/40 looked like a sewer pipe .Any way he had to do all the work with the reciever still on the barrel since he couldnt get it off either .Some one told me they heard that some of these barrels were soft soldered on even though they were threaded .Dont know that for sure and how would you confirm it unless some one has managed to get one off and found the solder .Arnie

Kelley O. Roos
PostsCOLON 944
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 6:55 pm

Post by Kelley O. Roos » Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:19 am

After you've let the action/barrel soak in whatever solution you've choosen, brake fluid kroil mixture works well. Set the action up with your action wrench installed, put a 6' extension on it's handle, no don't jump on the breaker bar, set all this up with the handle slightly above center. Take a 5 gallon bucket filled with sand or something that will make the bucket heavy & put that on the very end of the bar, let all this set over night & usually this will break loose the action from the barrel.

Kelley O.

John Boy

Post by John Boy » Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:39 am

Kelley, never heard this tip and it is logical. Will set it up and give it a go. It's been soaking for 3 days in a 2:1 cup ratio of vinegar and Mystery Oil
Thanks Kind Sir!

BUTTON_POST_REPLY