Where to get a .40 cal barrel for a #1 black powder frame

GregP42
PostsCOLON 22
JoinedCOLON Mon Nov 21, 2005 3:55 am
LocationCOLON Central, Ky.

Where to get a .40 cal barrel for a #1 black powder frame

Post by GregP42 » Sat May 03, 2008 5:30 am

Hey guys,

I picked up a #1 black powder frame and now I need to find a barrel for it. Not sure if I want to go round or octagon, but I do know I want to build a .40 cal this time, Maybe a .40-65 or a 40-70 SBN maybe. Still haven't decided. But I want to know who has the best prices on barrel blanks and where to send it to have the barrel mounted and head spaced. Any other thoughts about .40 cal rounds that might be fun to play with?

Greg
NRA Life Member
"Those who sacrifice essential liberty for temporary safety are not deserving of either liberty or safety." - Ben Franklin, 1776
Vis Sis Mis!

Kodiak
PostsCOLON 142
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 27, 2005 4:19 pm
LocationCOLON Mid-America

Post by Kodiak » Sat May 03, 2008 8:16 am

Greg,

I like the old-time look of the octagnal barrels, but round is ok too. I'm partial to Badger barrels and Green Mtn. barrels are fine also. Buffalo Arms Co. carries some barrel-blanks. There are some other brands of black-powder barrels that are out there too. There are lots of 40-65 shooters out there and they do fine at the target matches.

Finding a qualified gun-smith may be your biggest search.
Good luck and enjoy.

Jim
Old age ... it ain't for sissies!

Ranch 13
PostsCOLON 1584
JoinedCOLON Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:41 am
LocationCOLON Eastern Wy
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Ranch 13 » Sun May 04, 2008 10:03 pm

Green Mountain, Badger, Douglas and Krieger all have barrels that will work fine.
Douglas will , or at least have as recently as 2 years ago, install their barrel on your action for not a lot of money over the cost of the barrel.
I'm getting to be a fan of round barrels .

marlinman93
PostsCOLON 56
JoinedCOLON Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:11 pm
LocationCOLON Oregon

Post by marlinman93 » Sat May 17, 2008 11:12 am

I did my Hepburn with a Green Mountain full octagon barrel in something close to a #3 1/2 weight, and it's a very accurate gun. Check with John Taylor Machine for fitting a barrel.

GregP42
PostsCOLON 22
JoinedCOLON Mon Nov 21, 2005 3:55 am
LocationCOLON Central, Ky.

Post by GregP42 » Sat May 17, 2008 3:09 pm

Cool, thanks for the info guys. Now I just have to save the coin up for it. I have too many expensive hobbies!

Greg
NRA Life Member
"Those who sacrifice essential liberty for temporary safety are not deserving of either liberty or safety." - Ben Franklin, 1776
Vis Sis Mis!

BUTTON_POST_REPLY