Rolling Block Project Questions?

Holyfield
PostsCOLON 5
JoinedCOLON Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:33 am

Rolling Block Project Questions?

Post by Holyfield » Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:50 am

I have an old Rolling Block that was originally in 43 Spanish that I am about to start on and I have a few questions. First off I am new to the forum and to this type of shooting in particular. I have plenty of reloading and shooting experience in other areas though. I plan on shooting both light smokeless loads and maybe playing with the ocasional blackpowder load as well and would like to know which cartridge would be better suited for this applicaton either the 45-70 or 40-65. My main concern relates to accuracy and I will fire at distances of around 600yds or so. The trigger in my rifle is almost a 2 finger pull right now and if anyone has info on where to purchase trigger springs I would appreciate it. Lastly I would like to know a good place to send my receiver for case coloring. If these questions have been covered before I appologize. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

PowderFlask2
PostsCOLON 110
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 7:25 pm
LocationCOLON Central IL

Post by PowderFlask2 » Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:13 pm

45-70, easiest cartridge going for beginners

Lighten the spring you have with a belt sander thinning the spring, being careful to not get it hot and remove the temper (dip frequently in water)(you will be amazed how much you can lighten the trigger this way) if that scares you, bend a pice of spring wire and replace it with that.

Classic guns @ Beecher IL for Color Case

Gary

marlinman93
PostsCOLON 56
JoinedCOLON Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:11 pm
LocationCOLON Oregon

Post by marlinman93 » Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:32 pm

I'm nearing the end of a similar project on an original Rem. #1 Sporting Rifle. Mine is rebarreled, and chambered for .40-65, with a heavy full round Green Mountain barrel that's 32" long.
I built stocks for it, and the receiver is at Al Springer's for case color work. In a couple weeks it will be back together and ready for it's maiden voyage!

ssdave
PostsCOLON 123
JoinedCOLON Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:00 am

Post by ssdave » Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:01 pm

Hollyfield, The best way to lighten the trigger is to buy a replacement spring for it from Kenn Womack. His website page with the spring is:

http://rollingblockparts.com/accessories.htm

Val,

Nice RB! Where did you get the buttplate? I like the looks of it. You are going to contour the hammer to sporter, aren't you? The rifle deserves it! If you don't want to do it, I'll do one for you and send it to you in trade for the old one. A rifle that nice deserves to have good looking parts to go in it. Nitre blue the block and hammer pins, keeper and screws when it's done and it'll look sharp. Constrasts nicely with the case colors.

dave

marlinman93
PostsCOLON 56
JoinedCOLON Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:11 pm
LocationCOLON Oregon

Post by marlinman93 » Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:15 pm

Hi Dave,
Yes the hammer is already reshaped and at the finisher's for bluing, as are all the other parts. The receiver is back home now from Al Springer's, and the rest will be back this week!
The buttplate....well it came from a friend who gave it to me with a 3/4" chunk of wood still on it, where some bubba had chopped it off to install a recoil pad! Lucky for me, but too bad for some nice gun that got bubba'd.-Vall

BUTTON_POST_REPLY