Sharps New Model 1863 PIC HEAVY

Rob Marshall
PostsCOLON 1
JoinedCOLON Mon May 16, 2016 1:21 pm

Sharps New Model 1863 PIC HEAVY

Post by Rob Marshall » Tue May 17, 2016 7:38 am

I'm new to this forum and new to collecting Sharps rifles. I'm wanting to collect original Sharps rifles or at least rifles with original Sharps receivers. My first rifles arrived yesterday and its a Sharps New Model 1863 converted to 50-70. The wood shows quite a bit of saddle time and the metal has a nice brown patina. Which I like for my milsurp to have that been there done that look. It has been rebuilt by the armory or Bannerman. The tang has been welded and the serial# is C,15000 and the barrel is marked C,11623 (the pic is upside down). The barrel is also stamped 72. The buttstock is stamped 11 over 72 and it is wearing a patchbox butt plate. A some point someone put a sling swivel barrel band and attached a sling swivel to the buttstock. I also found a name of a young man from Glen Rock dated 1931. My questions I have about this rifle are. Does it look like a Armory rework or Bannerman rework? Were the tangs just weak or did a horse roll over on it? Does the 72 stamp on the barrel have anything to do with the 72 stamp on the buttstock? It seems to function fine and the bore looks good. I plan on shooting this rifle with black powder loads. Here are some pictures.

BUTTON_POST_REPLY