Dry firing

Post by jesslee » Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:29 am

Will Dry Firing damage my rifle?
Thanks
Jess

John Boy

Re: Dry firing

Post by John Boy » Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:42 pm

Yes, unless your rifle has a safety transfer bar and I don't know if any that do

white owl
PostsCOLON 74
JoinedCOLON Fri Nov 25, 2005 1:32 pm

Post by white owl » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:35 pm

Just make sure the hammer is fully DOWN, as if you had just fired a shot. From that position, you can then set the (rear) trigger, and dry fire with the front trigger. This won't hurt a thing.

If you try to do this with the hammer in the half-cock position, you will eventually break some part of the trigger mechanism (can't remember which part), although I understand you may get away with doing it this way for a long time.

This info was posted on the Shiloh webiste, directly from the owner of the Shiloh Rifle Mfg. Co.

Old Soldier
PostsCOLON 7
JoinedCOLON Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:25 am
LocationCOLON North Pole, Alaska

Post by Old Soldier » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:29 pm

I've not done this on a Sharps, but have on several other rifles. I take and empty brass case and put silicon in the primer hole. Seems to work for me. I just get a little squeeze tube from the hard ware store.
"I wish it to be remembered that I was the last of my tribe to surrender my rifle" Geronimo

Premod70
PostsCOLON 90
JoinedCOLON Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:25 am

Post by Premod70 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:49 am

Any time steel impacts steel there is a risk of damage, sometimes the failure is soon and other times it is not in your lifetime.

Brent
PostsCOLON 1589
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:12 pm
LocationCOLON the most boring real estate west of Illinois

Post by Brent » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:03 pm

Note the OP posted in 2010. Just in case you didn't notice.

Brent
I'm not from here, I just live here.

BUTTON_POST_REPLY